Opera Theater of Pittsburgh presents innovative opera in English, producing American works, reinterpretations of older works, and new works, for the widest possible audience. Opera Theater focuses on diversity in programming and casting, on crossing boundaries and bringing together talents from all the arts, on encouraging new talent, and on broadening audiences through outreach and education, to create a body of work that is original, entertaining, contemporary and relevant.
Opera Theater fulfills its mission through:
- SummerFest: a three week-long summer festival that presents a uniquely wide range of opera and musical theatrical entertainment.
- Opera for everyone: a commitment to developing new audiences through innovative and imaginative programming, accessible ticket pricing and singing in English.
- Originality and quality: earning regional and national recognition for award-winning work and innovative programming.
- Creative collaboration: working with a wealth of creative talent from across the arts to keep programming alive and exciting to contemporary audiences, building a reputation that is endorsed by partnerships with other performing arts organizations in Pittsburgh and around the country.
- Developing new talent: giving performance opportunities and training to help develop emerging young professional singers, accompanists, directors and designers through the Mildred Miller International Voice Competition and the SummerFest Young Artist Program.
- Education and outreach: serving younger communities year-round with educational programs from pre-school to high-school, focusing on underprivileged areas in and around Pittsburgh.
- New works: commissioning new music dramas for new audiences, including short comic music dramas, ‘guerilla’ vignettes and operas exploring themes of real contemporary interest and importance, Opera Theater plays its part in keeping opera alive, relevant and entertaining in the present, while helping to build a legacy for future generations.
- International impact: involving young artists from more than a dozen countries around the world through the international complexion of the SummerFest Young Artist Program, and through a newly founded sister organization: SummerFest Europe. This involves partnerships with a recently launched International Voice Competition in Verviers, Belgium; with the Maastricht Academy of Music in Holland; with the Cambridge University Chamber Orchestra in England; with the Prague School of Music in the Czech Republic; and with the ENSMM school of engineering in Besançon, France.